to much insulation????????

Old 03-02-06, 12:53 AM
Talking to much insulation????????

Tanks to hurricane rita me and a friend was talking today about how our homes were coming along and the subject came up about wall insulation he asked what i was doing and i told him i bought the most r value stuff i could get at lowes.witch is r30 but it did stick out from the 2x4's a little so i had to put some of the shiplap back up to push it into the space he said that it wasn't good for the insulation to be compressed it need air room.He wasnt for sure if it was true and i didnt ethier i do know that my uncle in baton rouge had his new house sprayed with foam and the filled the cavate full he had to scrape some off to put drywall up,So did i just waist my time in putting up this insulation or will it be ok
thanks insulation guru's.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-06, 04:17 AM
Never compress insulation

You should never compress insulation as you will lose R value. Its always best to get something that fits the space and has the highest R value per inch. You definately dont have R 30 walls by doing what you did but if you had no insulation at all before i think its better than nothing.

Old 03-02-06, 05:58 PM
Angry crap

is thier a way to calcutale r value loss?

Old 03-02-06, 10:18 PM
Im not sure theres a way to calculate the actual loss w/o being there but sorry to say its most likely ALOT lower than R 30. The way fiberglass insulation works in the first place is that the spaces between the fibers is what traps air and in turn slows heat transfer. If by compression you totally remove the air spaces on a batt then you kinda make the batt worthless as insulation. Maybe someone else can give you a more postive answer but after thinking about it a little more i kinda think you got little or nothing for all that money and work. Sorry to say