Removing aluminum siding for insulation

Old 03-20-06, 12:01 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Removing aluminum siding for insulation

Anyone know how to pull away the top strip of Aluminum siding so it can be replaced again?

I want to pull away one strip, drill my holes and blow insulation in from the outside, since I've already done some of that from the inside and it was a horrific mess.

Then I want to replace the strip so "nobody can tell." I don't see any way of removing it, though. Do I have to use a special tool to pry it off the side of the house?

J

Old 03-20-06, 02:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
The top strip of siding will often be face nailed in a few spots along the top edge. look for that, and carefully remove any nails you find. Sometimes a flat putty knife and a prybar or sidecutters will work well together so that you don't marr the surface of the siding.

If there are no exposed nails, the top edge of the siding probably has some snap tabs that lock it in place. Run a putty knife inside the finish trim and you should be able to locate and "unlock" these snap tabs. Then find a seam in the siding, insert a putty knife, and try to pull that piece of siding straight down out of the finish trim.

If you've got seamless siding, you'll probably never get that top piece out and back in again without bending it.

For further siding questions, you might browse the Exterior > Lumber & Siding forum.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: