New Home (Insulation) Tips

Old 04-06-06, 09:08 AM
Question New Home (Insulation) Tips

We are having a 2-story new home built in the far west burbs of Chicago. As they prepare to break ground this week, does anyone have any tips on what to looks for? Also, does anyone have any advice on things we can do that the builder might not to make our home more energy efficient? We already spoke to the builder and he will let us do extras ourselves during the construction process. Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-06, 09:17 AM
One of the biggest problems for me whenever I moved to a new place is finding that there weren't enough outside electrical outlets and hose bibbs to suit me.

If you plan to have multiple computers you might want to have network cables installed while its easy to do so.

Old 04-07-06, 04:39 AM
Install insulation on the exterior of the foundation wall (from grade down)prior to backfilling.

Old 04-07-06, 04:52 AM
http://www.eere.energy.gov/EE/buildings_envelope.html

Old 04-07-06, 06:08 AM
How would I go about applying exterior insulation to the foundation wall? What kind of insulation would I use? And what does this accomplish exactly?

Old 04-07-06, 06:55 AM
New Home Tips

Use EXTRUDED not EXPANDED polystyrene for insulation. Use 1 1/2" or 2" whichever you choose. If they are going to spray or spread the "waterproofing" material on the concrete walls, try to do it at the same time so it can stick a little bit and hold it in place. If not possible, a few dabs of adhesive willl work until backfilling. Then have them backfill over the drain tile with a granualr material. You may "cap" off the top foot or so if the backfill with a heavy gage poly to direct the water outside the excavation area.

The insulation will be placed out side the wall to provide thermal mass "concrete" to moderate the interior temperatures. This is cheap insulation because it only costs the money for styrofoam and the installation is very easy.

I would run the exterior insulation completely over the concrete to the sill/plate/rim joist and the cover with cement board or a troweled on coating. - This provides a continuous layer of insulation, closes off the top gap between the insulation and concrete, and works well for sloping or variable side grades.

Dick

Old 04-07-06, 07:32 AM
Where can I get extruded polystyrene insulation in 1 1/2" or 2". How much will it cost approximatly?

Old 04-10-06, 04:09 AM
In addition, before installing the insulation, you should add this:

http://www.basementsolutionsne.com/delta_foundation.html

This is the best stuff to prevent water penetration.

Old 04-10-06, 06:25 AM
Since the foundation is being poured this week, I do not know if I would have the time and money to purchase and install the wrap. It seems to me, the polystyrene might be a more likely option. Does anyone have anymore information on where to buy this and how to install it?

Old 04-10-06, 05:17 PM
New Home (Insulation) Tips

You are confusing insulation with waterproofing. Wraps and insulation do not make a basement dry.

Anything on the exterior of the wall will not guarantee a dry basement. There is always a crack between the slab and the wall in the basement.

Proper downspouts, positive drainage (away from the house) and drain tile (with a sump and pump) are the main things to do to get a dry basement you can finish for the future.

You builder should address these items if he is a responsible builder and not trying to dump the responsibility on you.

Dick

Old 04-11-06, 04:22 AM
Originally Posted by msmity29
Since the foundation is being poured this week, I do not know if I would have the time and money to purchase and install the wrap. It seems to me, the polystyrene might be a more likely option. Does anyone have anymore information on where to buy this and how to install it?
Home depot.
It is applied with an adhesive caulking material. Ask them to provide you with the proper adhesive for the insulating boards.

Here is a good diagram which shows how it is applied:

http://www.cwc.ca/design/building_science/thermal_insulation/ext_insulation.php

Old 04-11-06, 06:07 AM
Thanks for all the help guys! Unfortunately, I spoke with the builder yesterday and he will not allow any work to be done to the foundation. I can understand this as he concerned about liability. He will, however let us insulate the garage, wire for surround sound, insulate interior walls for sound proofing etc.

Old 04-11-06, 10:40 AM
Ask him what he would charge you to insulate the foundation walls?

Now is the time and this really would make a siginificant change in the efficiency of your home...which is what you wanted to do.

Search this Thread