Insulation inside a drop ceiling

Old 04-08-06, 08:44 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Insulation inside a drop ceiling

I have a rental unit in my basement that has a drop ceiling hiding numerous pipes, wires, and even a couple natural gas lines that run below the original 1880s ceiling. The drop ceiling is made of a metal "cage" holding styrofoam-like panels. Eventually, I'd like to pull everything down and put the pipes and other "lines" into the original ceiling, but my budget won't allow it at the moment. For now though, I'd like to try to solve a noise problem I have between my living quarters above and the rental unit below. I have heard that insulation is the best noise barrier. So, as a diy project I was thinking of buying some rolls of insulation and simply laying it on top of the drop ceiling cage and panels. Is there any reason I can't do this? Are there better solutions out there for reducing the noise? Assuming this is a good solution, would R-13 do or should I go for a higher R value? Also, a few of the panels are opaque panels hiding hanging flourescent light fixtures above them. (The kind you see in offices). Can I lay the insulation over the hanging light fixtures behind these panels or am I creating a fire hazard? There's also one "vented" panel that hides a steam radiator hanging on its side from the original ceiling. Would laying insulation on top of this steam raditor be a fire hazard? Thanks.

Old 04-10-06, 04:03 AM
E
A drop ceiling cannot hold the added weight on insulation. As well, you cannot lay insulation over the light fixtures.

It would be best to stuff the insulation in between the ceiling joists. The thicker the insulation the better.

Old 04-10-06, 10:16 AM
S
thank you!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: