using poly iso to insulate ceiling

Old 06-01-06, 07:26 AM

Hi all,
I've got a 99 year old house with a poorly finished attic. We're redoing the attic (to make a master bedroom) and discovering that the only insulation is r-11 between the rafters. There is no empty space now, it's drywall (inside ceiling) then r-11, then roof. I have a bunch of 3.25" poly iso that I'd like to put in so we can have some added insulation and make it a little less hot in the summer. I'm aware that I'll need 1/2" drywall over it. Because of ceiling height I don't really want to put the insulation over the rafters (I'd prefer to go between). I have two questions, first, am I really going to lose that much r value to short circuits if I put the insulation between instead of over the rafters? Second, if I put it between, what's the best way to hold it in place and how does it interact with any wiring I need to do?

thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-06, 10:17 AM

Cutting and fitting rigid insulation between rafters is not a very effective way to use a superior insulation and infiltration preventing product. Without a perfect fit or foaming the crack, you could have infiltration.

The thermal short-circuiting of a fiberglass and wood stud/rafter situation is well documented. I do not thave the tables in front of me, but for the full 2" rafter you probably have the loss is about 7 to 10% of the indicated value of the R11 insulation. - Its a good thing you do not have steel studs where you could approach a 35% loss.

Dick

Old 06-02-06, 01:04 PM
so suppose I wanted to put the stuff over the rafters instead of between. How do I then attach it to the rafters and how do I get drywall over that?

Search this Thread