Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

soundproofing between floors

06-20-06, 10:21 PM   #1  
soundproofing between floors

We bought a house built in 1972. Ranch with daylight basement. Our children's rooms are downstairs and our's is upstairs. They can hear everything: us talking, Dad snoring, the alarm, T.V. etc. Conversely, when reading a book to my son in his room downstairs, I can hear the sister upstairs listening to music on the computer. Can you use blown in insulation to address this sound barrier issue? I'm sure it will help with heat/cooling performance also. Any ideas? We are a year away from remodeling, but at this time it does not include ripping up in floors. Hence blown in insulation.

Sponsored Links

CT

07-10-06, 11:42 AM   #2  
I blew a thick layer of insulation underneath my attic floorboards, and the difference in noise for the rooms beneath the attic is tremendous.

Granted, there is still some noise carried through the rafters on which the floorboards rest, but the terrible echo effect is almost completely gone.

In addition, I saved 30% on my gas usage this last winter (unfortunately, the gas cost was 30% higher, too).

So, I recommend blowing insulation for noise reduction. It also works for walls, too. I blew in between a bedroom and bathroom, and now there's no carry-through in those hollow plaster walls.

J

Search this Thread