How to Install Vapour Barrier

Old 06-26-06, 09:11 AM
Luthar28
Visiting Guest
How to Install Vapour Barrier

I know this seems like a really simple question but I can't find the answer anywhere.

I've renovated a kitchen. I took it right back to studs (there was no insulation and no vapour barrier). Now I'm in Southern Ontario, so obviously we have very cold winters and hot summers. So I'm putting insulation and vapour barrier up.

I understand the basics (staple to studs, overlap and seal with tuck tape).

Except, how do I fasten the vapor barrier near the floor and ceiling? Just staple it? Tape? Acoustical foam (or caulk, whatever it's called). Some combination?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-06, 05:40 AM
Since your wall already exists, bring the VB down to the floor, run a bead of acoustical caulk behind the VB on the bottom plate and then staple. Once the drywall is applied, it will compress the caulk and create a seal.

Don't forget to apply caulk around outlets.

Old 06-27-06, 06:57 AM
Not to butt in on this thread, but I had a couple questions based on em69's response:

- so caulk on the bottom of the VB; how about at the top? caulk as well or just staples?

- when you say caulk around outlets, where exactly do you put the caulk? I understand the idea behind sealing the VB there but just not sure where to put it...

Thanks!

Old 06-28-06, 06:19 AM
Originally Posted by parkers1
- so caulk on the bottom of the VB; how about at the top? caulk as well or just staples?

- when you say caulk around outlets, where exactly do you put the caulk? I understand the idea behind sealing the VB there but just not sure where to put it...

At the top, your VB should extend up in between the joists. It may be difficult to seal this with caulk, so it would be better to use tuck tape.

The outlets should be wrapped in 6mil poly and extend out and tape or caulked around the outlet to the VB. This prevents moist air from entering your wall cavity through the outlets.

Search this Thread