Blown-in insulation/Plug

Old 08-21-06, 06:28 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Blown-in insulation/Plug

I am going to blow-in insulation into my outside walls over labor day weekend. One fellow suggested to me that Plugs are available purchase to put in the drilled holes. I checked at the store where I was going to buy the insulation/ rent blower and they knew nothing about plugs. Looking for advice on either purchasing plugs or what else to do. If no plugs available, could I cut black tar paper and cover the holes with it? Thanks

Old 08-22-06, 05:34 AM
E
If you have drywall on the inside of your home, then it better to blow the insulation from the inside. It would much easier and cheaper to repair the drywall then an exterior finish.

Old 08-22-06, 06:50 AM
Blown-in insulation/Plug

What is the exterior of the house? - Vinyl, wood, hardiboard, stucco, brick?

Dick

Old 08-23-06, 05:06 AM
D
blow in insulation

Thanks for the replies.
This is the beginning of a residing project. I am going to remove a wood lap siding board at the top of the exterior wall and one about midway up so that I can blow in at midway and top. As soon as I get the blow-in finished, I am going to take off all of the exterior wood siding and replace it with vinyl siding. So I think it will be easier to do it from the exterior. I just neeed to know how to fill or cover the holes that will be in the wood sheathing which is currently under the wood lap siding. thanks, deans50

Old 08-23-06, 06:49 AM
Blown-in insulation/Plug

You will have to make sure the wall has a continuous waterproof barrier under the new vinyl siding. Patch the holes or cover with tar paper or Tyvek.

Vinyl siding does not constitute a waterproof barrier since it loosely hangs on the house.

Make sure you use the proper details and flashing around your windows since the vinyl is not as tight as old wood siding.

Dick

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: