Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Filling gable with blown-in cellulose

08-22-06, 12:47 PM   #1  
Filling gable with blown-in cellulose

I have an incovenient area to insulate under a gable. It's about three feet high, with small vents cut in the roof sheathing that connects it to the main attic area over living areas. There is no exterior vent. Plans were professionally designed, and the city approved the ventilation plan as-is with no exterior venting.

I need to insulate the area, and am planning on using blown cellulose to do so (like the rest of the attic). Can I "fill" the gable area all the way to the top (which would obstruct the vents back into the attic), or does there need to be some space for venting? This is in Arizona, so it's almost always dry, except for July-August when we get our monsoons. I'm wanting to fill as much as possible to get the highest R-value for that area of the house, but not at the expense of bad things.

Sponsored Links

09-21-06, 02:43 PM   #2  
Filling the gable all the way to the top is not a good idea. You don't need that much insulation and you'll block the vents to the gable.

MO

09-21-06, 02:50 PM   #3  
Like said you need 1 sq ft of vent for ever 150 sq ft of attic. Dont block any vents.

ED

Search this Thread