Insulate floor?

Old 08-31-06, 07:45 PM
Insulate floor?

I am turning a free standing garage into a sun room. I'm familiar with insulation, etc. except when it comes to floors. I was reading a book that advises to insulate the concrete floor. We currently have a concrete slab in good shape that I was going to tile with ceramic. The book, however, said to first insulate the floor.

How much added value does an insulated floor add? A lot or marginal? It means spending more laying down a floor, sheathing, etc.... but the bigger issue for us is it means having to replace a steel door that only has a half inch clearance.

To insulate the floor or not insulate the floor, that is the question. 'Best' to do or just 'better' to do or it helps but no not a big variable in the scheme of things?

Thanks for any advise.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-06, 08:05 PM
Insulate floor?

Insulation depends on the climate. - Where are you?

In a hot climate, not insulating is desired to use the moderating effects of the earth provided by Mother Nature. In other climates, it may not be as important. Humidity is also a factor.

Dick

Old 08-31-06, 09:57 PM
Wink

Like said you up north or down south?????
That steel door there. Could be not much load on the header there and you can cut some of it out and raise the door??????

ED

Old 09-01-06, 10:00 AM
Thanks for the info. This is a cold climate (Canada).

Also, i was doing some research and read two contradictory suggestions re the vapor barrier. One said to put put poly right on the concrete slab. The other source said to put the poly on top of the insulation. I always thought the vapor barrier was on the warm side...but one source said a insulated concrete floor is an exception. I'll be using plywood over the insulation, then ceramic tile (or possibility of laminate wood).

Any comments on placement of vapor barrier appreciated.

Old 09-01-06, 11:25 AM
Wink

I for sure would put a 6 mil poly down on the cement first then with the insulation paper side to the room. Up there you might want to check on code. I know they have some way out ones. Like we do down here .

ED