Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

is there such thing

09-13-06, 02:54 PM   #1  
is there such thing

is there such thing as insulating exterior siding? We are trying to find a more economical way to insulate our home withought taking down our Lathe and Plaster walls and not blowing it in. Is it cost effective? which is more cost effective?

Blown isulation
Renovating
Exterior insulation

Sponsored Links

MN

09-13-06, 03:50 PM   #2  
exterior insulation on existing homes

Based on what I have seen, it is more economical to blow in insulation rather than try to insulate the exterior shell.

You do not have to remove the lath and plaster if you blow from the outside. You can also blow from the inside if you choose.

I personally like rigid foam insulation over fiberglass (especially) and cellulose, but there is a proper place for all materials on an existing structure.

There is more to real energy practical conservation than the questionable R-values measured in a steady state condition with no pressure differential. You must have a proper vapor barrier in the proper place and control over infitration. This is difficult on an existing home.

Dick

09-13-06, 04:48 PM   #3  
I was told that blowing in insulation is not worth the money becaue it settles and you only get 1/2 the wall insulated. We were thinking about putting up new siding over the stone of our home if we coulf find something that would insulate as well. We are still in the planning stages of our renovation.

MN

09-13-06, 05:40 PM   #4  
is there such thing

The settlement problem is not what some promoters and salesmen make it out to be. There is some settlement, but a properly blown wall with air venting during installation is well proven to be reliable.

I love the concept of putting the mass (your stone) inside the insulation barrier. The Pink Panther is deathly afraid of the concept since it utilizes the dynamic thermal properties instead of the unrealistic "steady state" insulation values of fiberglass promoted without any regard to the real world of thermal inertia and comfort.

In many buildings subject to daily cyclical changes of use and humidity like schools and offices (sweaty kids in and coffes drinkers (LOL)), architects and engineers appreciate the amount of moderating mass inside the insulation for new construction. - Smaller AC/heating investment.

Unfortunately, the concept of blowing in insulation might be better for your situation unless you go into the minute details of enclosing and existing structure. If it was new, that is a different question.

Dick

09-13-06, 06:19 PM   #5  
But what about vapour barriers and things like that. If we blow in insulation does that not mean that we will not have a proper barrier?

MN

09-13-06, 06:41 PM   #6  
is there such thing

You will still need a vapor/vapour barrier.

The basic principal is to have the vapor barrier on the warm side of the wall. I do not know what you have for a wall cross-section.

There are differences between the Canadian and U.S. codes, particularly on insulation. I live north of most of the people in Canada and do not see problems with U.S. practices, but that is not to say there are local differences or concerns.

Check with your local code officials for information and look closely at any suppliers/contractors information.

Unfortunately we have to live with codes. standards and local practices that are proven and accepted.

dick

Search this Thread