Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Foundation top, between joists insulation

09-26-06, 05:21 AM   #1  
Foundation top, between joists insulation

Renovating an old farmhouse. Many of the first floor joists were rotted so they've all been replaced, new subfloor has been put in, etc. The original joists rested in notches in the mudsil and on the top of the foundation- new joists are similarly installed, though using galvanized hangers. Anyway, at some time in the past someone stuffed fiberglas insulation between the joists in the space between the top of the foundation and the first floor subfloor. There was plenty of evidence of both mice and snakes (found five or so molted off skins) in and behind the insulation. I'm looking for suggestions for an alternative insulation for these spaces that the animals won't find so hospitible. Thought about expanding foam, but it's not enough space to bring in a contractor to do, but too much to do using the cans ($$$). Any ideas?

Sponsored Links

MD

09-26-06, 08:19 AM   #2  
Seal the cracks first

First and foremost, you need to find and seal all the cracks, gaps and crevices around the foundation and sill where these critters are coming into your farmhouse.

This may prove quite challenging as I'm sure there are quite a few gaps in an old farmhouse.

The area along the sill can be insulted with solid foam board in layers, but if you can keep the critters out you can use fiberglass without worries.

09-26-06, 10:59 AM   #3  
Good points. I think I'll probably use the canned expandable foam to seal all the gaps, then I guess a combo of the solid foam cut to 'fit' (a straight edge and/or 90 deg. angle is not to be found anywhere in this house!) with the expandable around the edges.

MD

09-27-06, 10:13 AM   #4  
Keep the critters out and use the fiberglass

Once you are confident that you have sealed all of the entrance ways for the various critters, you can just use the fiberglass insulation. Trying to cut the foam board for each individual bay space which more than likely won't be uniform given the age of the house will quickly becomea tedious process. However, if you want to go the foam board/expandable foam route that will be up to you.

Make sure to check the space where the bottom clapboard meets the house at the sill plate. These areas tend to allow both air and critters in.

WV

10-27-10, 10:30 AM   #5  
insulation and backsnakes

I have rolled fiberglass insulation on the ceiling of my unfinished basement held up by metal spring devices. Black snakes crawl on it and knock it down.

I'm tired of replacing the insulation. FYI, my house is old and the joists are not standard distances. I'm looking for a permanent solution. But I live in a wooded area and need a solution that does not involve chasing out the blacksnakes which are very effective in controlling vermin.

NY

10-28-10, 11:37 AM   #6  
Tiger Foam Spray Foam Insulation Kits

$350 buys you enough to do it yourself and not go can after can of great stuff, which really isn't ideal in that application since it's messy and I bet this stuff gives much better coverage.

Beware that insects and things can still potentially bore through this but it sounds like what you're looking for.

Search this Thread