Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

fiberglass insulation smell?

CANADA

10-27-06, 04:41 PM   #1  
fiberglass insulation smell?

I've been insulating using fibreglass bats. I won't get into brand names because they might not be familiar to those not in Canada. I did a couple projects with one brand and then switched to another brand because of a sale. When I worked with the first brand I didn't notice any odor to the product. The second product, however, has a slight odor akin to mouse droppings (ever cleaned a hamster cage?). The insulation is in good condition, sealed and no sign of rodents.

Curious. Does some fibreglass insulation have an odor? The price is right and I don't want to take it back if this is normal...otherwise I'll return it and get the first brand. Perhaps the odor is something in the manufacturing process but I'd rather be safe than sorry and not continue installing it, puting up drywall, etc.

Thanks for any input.

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NE

10-27-06, 04:51 PM   #2  
I've put up a lot of fiberglass and I have never noticed that the fiberglass itself has any odor.

However, one brand in particular that I remember does have an odor, and I have always thought that it was the adhesive that they use to adhere the fiberglass to the kraft facing. It kind of reminds me of the smell of felt paper. (tar)

OH

10-27-06, 05:02 PM   #3  
Some people are more sensitive to others to the offgasing of insulation materials. Chemicals in the binders of batt insulation, inks in cellulose, and VOCs from foam insulation are a few examples of offgassing from insulation. There are low VOC insulation products for those who are sensitive to odor, have allergies, or respiratory problems.

CANADA

10-27-06, 05:03 PM   #4  
Thanks for sharing your experience. I think I'll return it. I neglected to mention this is unfaced insulation so it wouldn't be the adhesive.

I've did a lot of 'googling' and can't find any reference to an unpleasant odor to new fibreglass insulation. (do Americans call it rockwool?)

OH

10-27-06, 06:14 PM   #5  
Google for 'fiberglass offgassing.' You will find info on the odor you describe.

Rock wool insulation is not fiberglass. It is also known as mineral wool. It is made from silica materials like rock, slag, glass, or combinations of these. The fiber material is made by steam blasting and cooling molten glass or other silica materials. It is used to make insulation and filters.

FL

10-28-06, 02:46 PM   #6  
I've never used a fiberglass insulation that didn't have an off smell.

They make batts encased in a plastic material, which one could presume does not have a smell.

Search this Thread