Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Kitchen ceiling stain and wet

WI

12-02-06, 09:18 AM   #1  
Kitchen ceiling stain and wet

I saw a small water spot on the kitchen counter and noticed above it the ceiling has wet stains running along the crossbeams. It is about 2 feet oblong shape.

We have not had rain in a while. I am heating with wood and find our windows really sweating with droplets of water.

I am not sure if this is related to the storage of the firewood in the basement?

I intend to cover our windows with plastic 3m weather covering today but feel I need more help from someone to resolve this stained ceiling.

Our outside temp has been around 17 to 25 degrees in the past 2 weeks.

Thanks for any help.
Joe H

Sponsored Links

VA

12-02-06, 09:35 AM   #2  
You need more outside air! Open a window 1/2 inch or so for a day or to RH will go away.

WI

12-02-06, 01:27 PM   #3  
Kitchen ceiling stain and wet Reply to airman

Sat Dec 02 @ 3:37PM
Airman I appreciate the reply, and that just may be my problem.

After I wrote this question and looked at the spot it now was an 8" square area with water bubbles hanging? So I went out side to investigate as below.

I just got into the house after first inspecting the roof for loose shingles

Then I went up into the crawl space to the area of the wetness, and check the under roof area for wetness but none was found.
Then I looked at and under the insulation in the rafters and found in that particular area the insulation had been removed by the electrician who did a repair on a light fixture with in 2ft of the wet area. In the wet area was only a small amount of some blown insulation probably when then house was built as there is rolled insulation all around it. I put some rolled insulation in this 2 foot area except around the kitchen light fixture.

What I did see in the wet area under the thin insulation was the dry wall had small little water stains as if the water soaked through from the bottom (kitchen ceiling) up into the attic area under the sparse insulation.

Because of that I can see that what you say is correct and I sure thank you as I was completely puzzled and scared of what kind of a problem I might have.

I will get the window open and again thanks for the help

Joe H

Search this Thread