Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

cover crawl space 'floor"

KS

01-14-07, 05:41 PM   #1  
cover crawl space 'floor"

I finally realized that our kitchen floor would be a lot warmer if the crawl space were insulated. The space is 16x24x4 ft high. The floor is sand with a drain pipe in (out??)let. I'm not sure what the pipe is for - but in wet weather the floor around the pipe can be damp/wet. With this in mind should I try and install a water proof barrier on top of the sand?
Insulating this space is going to be a pain. The opening is 13x20" - so all insulation is going to have to be cut to get it into the space.

It's real annoying that the builder didn't excavate the area entirely so it could be a useable room. Now it's a pain.
TIA

Sponsored Links

VA

01-14-07, 06:56 PM   #2  
Yes ground should have a vapor barrier!!!!!!

KS

01-15-07, 10:13 AM   #3  
wet floor

Thanks - I realize there should be a vapor barrier. The crawl space has 2 3" plastic drain pipes coming into it. I'd like to think that's for outgoing water, but I've noticed that the sand floor around the pipes are wet sometimes. If the moisture is from the ground seeping up the barrier doesn't bother me. If the dampness is from water coming in thru the drain pipes then a vapor barrier would prevent the water from seeping into the sand and back into the ground.

OH

01-15-07, 10:17 AM   #4  
Any type of moisture in the crawl space is not good. It should be dry.

Where do the drain pipes originate? Where do they do? Why is the soil wet around them? Do you have leaks? These issues must be addressed first before installing your vapor retarder in the crawl space.

Dry soil in crawl space naturally emits moist vapors. The purpose of the vapor retarder is to retard these emissions from entering into the structure above.

Search this Thread