Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Repairing an insulation problem under the roof

KS

01-22-07, 10:17 AM   #1  
Repairing an insulation problem under the roof

We bought a contemporary house built in 1994. In one area there is snow melt on the roof. In that area the roof slopes at about 30 degrees, and we have an access door to it. In that area R19 insulation is attached underneath the roof with the paper facing in. There are two areas near the edge where the insulation is missing, and this is where the snow melt takes place. Since the angle to the edge is 30 degrees, it is very difficult to get in there with roll type insulation. There are cables, air conditioning ducting, and a vent pipe that would obstruct the roll insulation. What do I do to match the currect R19 to solve this problem?

Sponsored Links

KS

01-23-07, 07:07 PM   #2  
Spraying insulation

There must be something that can be sprayed to the underneath of the roof and rafters.

01-24-07, 09:04 AM   #3  
How about froth-pack or fomo-foam (also tiger foam)? Those are DIY spray foam kits you can get. Kind've pricy but imagine all the air sealing you can do around the house with them.

TN

01-24-07, 12:54 PM   #4  
Insulation

Try using a long stick to push the insulation between the rafters to the area mentioned.

MO

01-24-07, 02:11 PM   #5  
The big box stores have the blower for cellulose get some there and blow it in yourself.

KS

01-24-07, 03:15 PM   #6  
How would blown cellulose adhere to the ceiling?

If I blow in the cellulose, it would have to fill the space from floor to the rafters far enough in that I would then have space to use the R19 roll and staple it properly to the rafters. Maybe I can get XPS, cut it to size, and since it is rigid, slide it in between the rafters.

Search this Thread