radiant barrier paint on attic ceiling

Old 01-23-07, 02:34 PM

I understand you can buy radiant barrier paint for about $50/gallon at Sherwin Williams. Just wondering if I can spray it on myself. Can I use a regular paint sprayer? Any particulars I need to be aware of before attempting this?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-07, 02:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I've read some of the literature they sent me about this product but I've not used it. I think it can be brushed, rolled or sprayed. The sprayer would have to be an airless. I don't know if there is a minimum tip size needed to spray it.

The folks at your local SWP store should be able to advise you further.

Old 01-23-07, 02:59 PM

Don't expect a paint salesman to be well versed in insulation and radiant heat control. I am sure they know the tricks of how to apply it.

Dick

Old 01-23-07, 03:08 PM
Wink

At $50.00 a gal. Did they say what it will save you in heat and cool fuel bills???

Old 01-24-07, 06:11 AM
I haven't been to SW to ask them....just heard about the paint. My sister had a professional come to her house for an estimate and he told her she would recoup the cost (around $1500) in 48 months. We have a 30 year old house and really need to upgrade all insulation so this is just one of many things I am checking in to.
Thanks

Old 01-24-07, 07:32 AM
Wink

Id spend the $$$$$ on new windows and more insulation. In the attic and walls.
If that salesman comes around again."I put my boots on"

Old 01-24-07, 04:15 PM
Super Moderator
When you say it is proposed to put this rb paint on an "attic ceiling" do you mean a traditional peaked roof with insulation above the home's ceiling?

Radiant barrier technology has the potential to reduce heat loss, unfortunately unscrupulous people overstate its benefits and charge inflated prices to install it.

You would have to describe your home's construction to be sure, but I would suspect that the money spent on the rb paint, installed yourself, would not do as well as the same value spent on traditional insulation and/or attic ventilation.

Old 01-24-07, 05:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
As stated before I've not used this SWP product but it is my understanding that is to compliment an otherwise already efficent weatherproofed house. On a new home it is recomended to spray the studs and backside of wall sheating. In the attic you spray all exposed wood or metal.

IMO all other energy saving methods should be done first.

Old 06-05-07, 09:27 AM
Wink Radiant Barrier Paint

I've since done a lot of research online myself and checked the dept. of energy website etc. IF you do it yourself, you do need a special tip for the sprayer & SW can get that for you. All the "professionals" on line have different numbers as far as energy savings go. I've decided to hire a painter, found one across the street building new homes who'll do it on his off hours for $100, I'll furnish the paint & I'm going to get more insulation. Thanks to you all for the great info.

Old 06-05-07, 07:25 PM
The only draw back with the paint and the roll is once their is a layer of dust 2-3 yrs on the product it will only work to about 25% of design specs.