Questions regarding attic insulation

Old 02-04-07, 09:06 AM
O
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions regarding attic insulation

I had a problem with the person insulating my attic.
The attic of the house we have bought is dirty, and has had a rat infestation problem in the past so it is replete with old rat droppings. I requested that the attic (it has a low-ceiling) be vacuumed before it was insulated.
I now find out two things:
The attic was not vacuumed, and the unfaced insulation was laid across the rafters like a big blanket instead of between the rafters.
Will the dirt in the attic pose a health problem to my family if left as is under the insulation? And should the insulation be laid between the rafters instead on on them?
BTW, I fired the guy, so I have to rectify this situation.

Thanks
OldFrenchy

Old 02-05-07, 07:31 AM
R
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It comes down to "What you have in writing." While the droppings may or may not pose a health hazard to you and your family, if you don't have it in writing that the removal of the old insulation and droppings in the work order/estimate, it becomes your word against his/hers and the work order/estimate will prevail. Even if you can prove that the droppings pose a health hazard.

Old 02-05-07, 09:28 AM
O
Thanks for the reply.

I will get the droppings removed, regardless.
As far as the insulation goes, does it need to be placed between the rafters touching the drywall, or is it O.K. to have it laid on top of the rafters, like a blanket, with space underneath?

Old 02-05-07, 09:50 AM
R
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Place it between the ceiling joists in the attic touching the drywall.

Old 02-05-07, 11:18 AM
Who
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Orientation depends on thickness. Many people have insulation that is far deeper than the depth of the roof trusses/ceiling spaces.

When that's the case, insulate to a bit above the height of the truss slots and then do a cross-layer on top of that.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: