Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Second hand cigrette smoke coming into my condo from attched condo

02-05-07, 06:27 PM   #1  
Second hand cigrette smoke coming into my condo from attched condo

My condo neighbor is a smoker and the smell of cigarette smoke is coming into my condo. I believe it is coming in through the electric outlet behind my bed and the cable outlet. I have sealed the outlets temporally as well as the bathroom exhaust fan. The smell is less but not totally gone. My condo association suggested having insulation blown in to the attic area at my expense, I have read many of the postings here on insulation and it seems like the blown in foam seems to be very good. My real question is this going to help the smoke issue. My other question is the smoke smell coming from the attic or just from the electric outlet. If the cigarette smoke is exiting her condo into the attic, wouldn’t that indicate perhaps the ductwork on her bathroom exhaust fan is somehow failing and allowing the smoke to be exhausted into the attic instead of out through the roof. I am also going to suggest roof gable fans, since we don’t have them now. Any suggestions, ideas, thoughts or personal experiences are very much appreciated. Unfortunately moving is not an option. Thanks in advance. Brenda

Sponsored Links

VA

02-05-07, 07:48 PM   #2  
put your condo in a positive pressure with HRV of duct able dehumidifier! this will keep the smoke out or your home.

TX

02-05-07, 10:07 PM   #3  
it would seem that it would be very very hard to keep all smoke smell from your condo. I would imagine that some would leak in. I would imagine that with the current uproar over cig smoke, esp. second hand smoke at bars etc, that you might have some legal recourse over her smoke infiltrating your space- if you chose to go that way. I'm an md, not a lawyer so who really knows, but it would seem that the nieghbor is 'endangering' you and violating your rights in some way, and that a note from a lawyer might force action (and make them hate you...)

OH

02-05-07, 10:34 PM   #4  
Google for 'cigarette smoke from neighbor's condo' to find links where you will find that smoke from neighboring condos is a problem, and in some states there is legal precedence for second hand smoke violating the habitability of your private home.

http://www.tcsg.org/sfelp/apt_condofact.htm

Search this Thread