blown in cellulose insulation too heavy?

Old 02-05-07, 10:14 PM
blown in cellulose insulation too heavy?

I am planning on blowing in new insulation (raise house from maybe r5-10 to r39 in houston). I seem to like cellulose, but I have heard that it is heavier than fiberglass and could theoretically cause sagging??? My ceiling joist thingies range from 18-24" or so appart and I have what appears to be 1/2" sheetrock ceilings. Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-07, 11:38 PM
Wink

Blow it in. We havent had any ceiling bow down from it. Dont block and vents from the over hang with it.

Old 02-06-07, 06:36 PM
Very Very Light!!!!!!

I bought a house in 05' and did the attic w/ cellulose and no problems at all. I noticed that night a difference upstairs!! Very light stuff and for the price you can't beat it!! Way cheaper than fiberglass. May not do as good of a job as fiberglass but you will notice a difference!! I just did my walls in fall of 06' and noticed a difference also. Huge difference in sound also!!! Can't hear a normal car go by the house now and the road is about 40ft from the house. In all I bet I spent about 800 bucks to do the attic and walls!! GOOD LUCK!!!

Old 12-06-07, 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by diyplank View Post
I bought a house in 05' and did the attic w/ cellulose and no problems at all. I noticed that night a difference upstairs!! Very light stuff and for the price you can't beat it!! Way cheaper than fiberglass. May not do as good of a job as fiberglass but you will notice a difference!! I just did my walls in fall of 06' and noticed a difference also. Huge difference in sound also!!! Can't hear a normal car go by the house now and the road is about 40ft from the house. In all I bet I spent about 800 bucks to do the attic and walls!! GOOD LUCK!!!
Hi:

Thinking of doing the same since my heating bills are INSANE! Any advice on whether this is doable for the average home owner? Thanks.

Steve

Old 12-06-07, 01:41 PM
Yes its very doable. Be sure to air seal your attic ie all penetrations with foam and or caulk before you blow in and you will get even better results.

Old 12-06-07, 08:22 PM
blown in

many homecenters offer free rental of the blowing machine with a minimum purchase of insulation. Be sure to wear longsleave shirt and pants, also wear a mask. something else to consider for warming up your house and decreasing energy bills is to seal all penetrations in the cielings on the top floor of your home. Remember insulation will not stop heat loss, just slow it down. So by sealing around any penetrations you stop the loss of heat into the attic.

Old 12-07-07, 07:09 PM
It is extremely doable with you and about 2 other friends! I had me, my dad and bro help. One loaded the hopper, one on the ladder spraying in the ins. and the other just helping w/ odd jobs. I have old wood siding so what I did was one weekend we went around took off the section of siding drilled the holes in between every studded section and put the siding back up and then the following weekend blew in the insulation. I drilled a 1 5/8 hole or about that. There is an attatchment that is suppose to come w/ the hopper when you rent it but it was already rented out so Lowes MADE me buy this attachment which is found in the shop vac section of lowes.
It is time consuming but your house will be warmer and quieter. Just to let you know that it isn't as good as fiberglass but it has reduced my heating costs. Good luck

Old 12-08-07, 11:06 AM
Wink

[QUOTE][Just to let you know that it isn't as good as fiberglass but it has reduced my heating costs/QUOTE]
Ill say ir way better. Also dont forget if you have a fire in the home .It will help stop it. Where as the fiberglass dont burn but it just melts away and lets the fire get through. Think about that.

Old 12-11-07, 04:36 PM
I just added fiberglass insulation to my whole attic except for an addition part that I cant climb over. I will tell you I can't believe how much warmer my house is. I spent 400 bucks and I am sure I will get that back in savings this year. I wish I knew more about the blow in stuff cause researching it now it seems that is the route I should have gone. I do have a question for anyone that has blown in insulation. I have an addition that has no attic. I have access or peak in access at my original attic. I coud put in a tube and shoot in insulation. My question is how far will I be able to blow that in (distance wise) I am sure I will have to cut some sheet rock in the two rooms and make an access hole and go that route as well but I am curious how far or distance the machines blow in the insulation

Old 12-11-07, 06:05 PM
Well about which is better again, that could be a huge debate, yes it is fire resistant but if you are looking for the same R value in walls w/ fiberglass vs. cellulose, fiberglass hands down will win, unless you know for a fact there are no voids or area's missed. When I renovated my bathroom, I tore all my cellulose out of the walls when I tore off the lath and plaster and it was packed in there to an extent!! I had voids, it got hung up on electrical wiring, etc!!!! So I feel fiberglass is better b/c you know when your installing it that there are no voids!!
Now when you blow in an attic space then cellulose it perfect for the job!! You should blow it in about 2ft. thick b/c it will settle. When I did my attic which I use for storage, I tore up a 2ft wide part of the floor and shoved the hose to the end and filled up between the joists!! It worked great!! I also blew some over the addition that had fiberglass but had a 1/2 a hopper left of cellulose and didn't wanna waste it. [QUOTE] My question is how far will I be able to blow that in (distance wise)?? Well I got it to go 6-7 ft from the end of the hose.
I rented the machine from lowes.
GOOD LUCK!!!!!
Don't get me wrong I love cellulose but if you plan on renevating each room just put fiberglass in!!

Old 12-12-07, 08:15 AM
cellulose insulation

I had my attic insulated with cellulose this summer, added to the top of the existing fiberglass. Cost about $1000.00, but by hiring a pro, I got a 20% rebate from the gas company. Took them about 4 hours to do 1800sq ft at 10" thick. Probably would have taken me all weekend.

We noticed a big difference in the cooling, and are just beginning to see the savings in the new heating season.

Old 12-12-07, 07:31 PM
If you plan to insulate a sloped area, you need to dense pack the material in to a density of at least 3.5 lbs per cubic foot. You really don't have a way of knowing density unless you experiment. I don't think the rental machines can achieve that density. If you don't meet that density, there will be some settling and moisture will be able to move through the gap with the air. You also must put the tube all the way to the end of the area you plan to fill. If not, you can only be assured that about a foot will be filled to the proper density. Even walls cannot be adequately filled from a single point. A fill tube is the only way to insure a standard density from top to bottom with no possibility of settling.

Ken

Old 12-13-07, 01:28 PM
I found that I could hire a contractor to blow the insulation into my attics for less than I could even buy the materials. Worth considering.