Anyone have only blown-in cellulose in their attic?

Old 02-07-07, 07:13 AM
Anyone have only blown-in cellulose in their attic?

From my posts in the last few days, I'm struggling with choosing insulation for my attic. I originally thought of using fiberglass against the ceiling, then blowing in cellulose on top. However, from the good things I have read about cellulose and it's cost savings over fiberglass, I am considering using it exclusively.

Anyone have just blown-in cellulose in their attic or a combination of fiberglass and cellulose? If so, have you had any problems with the cellulose, or would you reccommend using it exclusively?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-07, 07:33 AM
Wink

You do want a V/B there on the ceiling. So if this is old work. Id say put a R13 down, paper side to the roomor ceiling. Then blow cellulose on top for a R38 trhen. This will like fill any small leaks or holes left from the fiberglass.
Why I like cellulose the best is it dont burn are melt. Now fiberglass dont burn but it will melt and let a fire get through. You can put a torch flame to cellulose and it will just blacken and glow but thats all not burn melt or let a fire through. Set the air shutter on the blower like it said to. To much air and you dont get the R that you want .

Old 02-07-07, 10:51 AM
OK. I'll put some batts paper-side against the ceiling and then blow the cellulose on top. Sounds like a plan.

Old 02-07-07, 03:43 PM
I have both cellulose on top of fiberglass and cellulose alone, and have no problems with either. You might check the price a contractor charges to install the celllulose. I had both attics blown with cellulose for less than I could have purchased just the materials at the BORG.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-07-07, 07:23 PM
Originally Posted by chfite View Post
I have both cellulose on top of fiberglass and cellulose alone, and have no problems with either.
No issues with the cellulose blowing around in the attic?

Old 02-08-07, 04:34 AM
Originally Posted by mcremens View Post
No issues with the cellulose blowing around in the attic?
Not even during 140mph Hurricane Ivan..

Old 02-08-07, 06:04 AM
The cellulose stays in place. There is not much wind in an attic. Cellulose is not the same as chips of paper from a shredder. It actually is more fluffy by comparison. I have it blown to R-49 in both attics.