Insulation widths

Old 02-11-07, 10:31 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Insulation widths

I have a section of my home that is without attic insulation. I can actually feel the ceiling cold in this section of the house. It is an older part of the house that was originally a 15x20 bungalow in the 30's. The problem that I have is that the cieling beams are not 16" on center. They are 24" on center. Does anyone make an insulation bat that is 23" or so wide? I havent seen any in my local home depot. I dont really want to have to cut bats down the center and "create my own" if I dont have to. I also see that machine that sprays insulation (not foam) into the attic. But then I need to put down a vapor barrier first. Any suggestions that I may be overlooking?

Old 02-12-07, 04:34 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Batts made for 24" OC walls and ceilings are very common, you must have missed seeing it.

Old 02-12-07, 06:08 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Im like XSleeper

Does anyone make an insulation bat that is 23" or so wide? I havent seen any in my local home depot.

Any and everyone I have been into have had the insulation in 15" and 23" wide

Old 02-12-07, 08:34 AM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Great, thats good to know. At my local home depot they have tons of insulation piled up in the front corner of the store with big signs hanging off the ceiling. Its where they usually have the wood fence sections in the spring and summer. It was all 15 and 16 inch and the blown in stuff. I guess they must have it down one of the aisles. Thanks for setting me straight.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: