Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

What kind of insulation is this?

DIYj2000's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1

02-14-07, 03:14 PM   #1  
What kind of insulation is this?

I am trying to determine what type of insulation was used inside my kitchen (exterior) walls. It was blown in from the top of the outside wall through a series of 2" holes about 12" apart. The material is white in color and solid but you can push a pencil through it easily. There is some white dust on the pencil when it is extracted.

This was probably done in the last 40 years??? It reminds me of the green floral squares used for floral arrangements just that this is white in color.

I am trying to determine if I need a respirator for removing this material and any other precautions needed handling this stuff.


Sponsored Links
Ed Imeduc's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 18,389

02-14-07, 03:28 PM   #2  
With the holes and the color Id say you have cellulose insulation. Wont hurt you at all. But with the dust You could wear a cheap dust mask

Search this Thread