Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Insulation

FL

03-09-07, 07:44 PM   #1  
Insulation

I am having a hard time keeping air flow going to the farthest room corner in the house. About 10-12 feet straight off the main line is the dining room in which when the air is on, it's blowing good enough to spin the ceiling fan a good ways. By the time it gets to the far end of the house, I don't even know if I would move paper. I was told by my handyman whom I trust that if he were me, he'd replace it because god only knows what kind of crap and holes are up there. He checked it out to measure and all. Then he decided he couldn't do it or something.

Anyways, I've had one company come out and quote me $11k, yes I typed that right, $11k to reduct my attic and put in a new 14seer ac unit. Now, that to me is a bit ridiculous! My handyman priced all the materials out at HD and said it shouldn't be more than $2k at the most to reduct the attic. I have another company coming out on Monday to give me an estimate. At this rate, I don't even want to know how much they want to quote me!!!

No one has told me that I DON'T need to re-duct it, just to insulate it except for one person. Is he right? I'm kinda with my handman, I don't know how many holes (if any) are in it and how much gunk is up there (if any).

Any suggestions or ideas would be much appreciated! I'm at my whits ends about this! Thanks so much!!!

Sponsored Links

MO

03-09-07, 07:57 PM   #2  
You just left out all that we need to know to say a yes or no. I take it it is in the attic how many runs and returns. Heatpump, gas or oil??????
My handyman priced all the materials out at HD and said it shouldn't be more than $2k at the most to reduct the attic. Ill bet he got the cheap stuff What about all the labor here???
The $11K for what ???? How big?? What seer??? Is it a V/S blower?? How old is the unit and the duct work?? Do you have holes in it???

FL

03-09-07, 08:14 PM   #3  
Posted By: Ed Imeduc You just left out all that we need to know to say a yes or no. I take it it is in the attic how many runs and returns. Heatpump, gas or oil??????
My handyman priced all the materials out at HD and said it shouldn't be more than $2k at the most to reduct the attic. Ill bet he got the cheap stuff What about all the labor here???
The $11K for what ???? How big?? What seer??? Is it a V/S blower?? How old is the unit and the duct work?? Do you have holes in it???
Yes, it's in the attic. We have 9 runs but would like to put one more in. We have 2 returns but when we got our platform raised the [email protected]$$ disconnected the secondary one!! It's a a/c with heatpump unit. Handyman said just materials would be $2k at the most, no telling how much labor would be, depends on the rate the company would charge. He won't do it though.

The $11k was for the re-ductwork with ductboard and a 14 seer 3ton a/c unit. I am not sure what a v/s blower is. The guy that came out to give a quote today from a company said a 15 seer has a certain type of "fan" in it that starts out slow and gradually picks up speed and when the system turns off, it does the opposite, in turn helping the unit and the electric bill. Wheather or not that was true, who knows.

The outside unit was bought in 2001 by the previous owner but it was used when he bought it. The unit inside has a date of 1998. The one inside is Intertherm and the outside is Miller. I'm not sure how old the ductwork is. All I know is that it was replaced after a previous owner switched out the oil furnace for an a/c unit. I'm assuming that's when it happened anyways.

My husband can't decide if it's the unit that isn't putting enough air in or it's the ductwork.

MO

03-09-07, 08:27 PM   #4  
If you will be in this home for 10 more years go for the good stuff here. It will pay you back.
The guy that came out to give a quote today from a company said a 15 seer has a certain type of "fan" in it that starts out slow and gradually picks up speed and when the system turns off, it does the opposite, in turn helping the unit and the electric bill. Wheather or not that was true, who knows.
He has got it right thats a V/S blower and you want a seer of 15 or over . You can get a TAX credit from the IRS for it. It will also help you with the heatpump . If you go for a new inside and out side you can also get a 10 warranty. Both unit should match not be different .
Get 3 bid for the job for sure.

Search this Thread