Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

old cold home

03-11-07, 08:18 PM   #1  
old cold home

Our 30's house needs serious insulation upgrading. The exterior walls are brick, attached to 8 inches of concrete. Embedded in the interior surface of the concrete are 1" thick nailing strips, giving 1 to 1 1/2 inch air space. (No insulation). Attached to the nailing strips are 3/4 " furring strips to provide attachment for 1 layer of old plasterboard topped by 3/8 inch of hair plaster as the finished interior surface. There is no room to insulate this, and I have no desire to remove this mess and build a studwall inwards room by room. I am thinking of removing the interior trim around the windows and the baseboards,and building directly on the interior wall by adding 2 inches of styrofoam SM or equivalent and drywall (with adhesive and screws.) . Does this sound OK? I can add electrical box extensions and build out the window trim easily. . The SM should add the required vapor barrier. Any other ideas??

Thanks in advance so much for your input.

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

03-12-07, 03:57 AM   #2  
Clarify one thing. You said "8 inches of concrete". Is that concrete block? If the blocks were left hollow, you may help yourself by pulling off your trim and foaming between all the windows and doors to prevent air infiltration. I think that is your worst enemy, as the dead air space in the block will give some insulation value, and as the brick heat up with thermals during the day, they will telegraph heat into the home. Try to stop the infiltration first, and see how much of a difference this makes before you take on the larger project.

HI

03-13-07, 07:03 PM   #3  
Foam. www.icynene.com. Not cheap, but probably a lot better than a massive interior remodeling project. The slow pour or whatever it's called would be just the ticket. Couple small holes in between the nailing strips, fill, patch, paint.

Search this Thread