Judgement call: add more or remove/replace?

Old 04-07-07, 09:11 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Judgement call: add more or remove/replace?

Hello,

I just bought a house in NC that was bult in 1956. The blown attic insulation is, well, 'old' and seems paltry. There are 2" ceiling joists and the insulation is about level with the joists. I have to repair two sheets of ceiling drywall soon, which made me think about having to deal with the insulation that will come down and then how to replace it. I could just throw it in a bag and return it to the attic but there's a larger issue.

In my situation, is the existing insulation so old/worthless that I should remove (vacuum?) it and start over or should I just add to it? Does the proper amount (thickness) to add depend on what type of blown insulation I use?

I'm glad someone else confirmed the 'shouldn't compress ceiling insulation with floor boards' theory; I always wondered about that. Sleeper 2*4's over the existing joists wil be my solution to be able to use the attic for some storage.

Old 04-08-07, 09:00 AM
C
Even the old insulation has value. I would add to it rather than remove it and discard it. The total insulating value of the insulation is a function of its overall thickness. Homes built in that era had little insulation.

If your house has two inch by two inch ceiling joists, it seems surprising that the ceiling stays up at all. To say nothing of the roof. It may be that these are furring strips running perpendicular to the ceiling joists for the purpose of installing the sheetrock. I have seen may engineered trusses made from 2x4 wood, but not from 2x2.

It may be valuable to have an engineer review the construction of the ceiling before you install 2x4 material that will not serve your purpose.

Your information is correct: compressing insulation reduces its effectiveness.

Old 04-08-07, 05:02 PM
C
Wow, what big botch I made!

Yes, you're correct, there are 2*4's in the ceiling. Thus, I should have said that the dept of the insulation was 3.5", aka, the width of the 2*4.

Thanks for your advice,

Chris

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: