Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Insulation, Radiant and Vapor Barriers
Reload this Page >

Cinder Block House with Plaster Walls and No Insulation

Old 04-15-07, 06:18 PM

Hi All,

I live in a house with cinder block exterior walls and brick veneer (with a cavity between them) and plaster walls on the interior. Built in 1957. There is no insulation. It is uncomfortable in winter and summer.

I have done a lot of reading on the matter and opinions seem to vary widely. Some would fill in the cavity, others say that would interfere with moisture drainage and cause the walls to crack during freezing.

The safest solution to me would be to fur out over the plaster and then attach foam board and drywall. Anyone have a comment on this idea? Do you think I would have moisture problems?

I would like to leave the plaster in place. The only problem I perceive is attaching the furring strips. Should the anchors be in the grout or the block? I wouldn't know if I leave the plaster in place.

Thanks,
John

Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-07, 06:52 PM

Do not fill the space between the block and the veneer. That is an important feature.

You have what is virtually considered the "Cadillac" (Mercedes, Lexus, etc.) of walls.

The only wall that is better would have rigid foam ibetween the block and brick, attached to the block with an air gap between the insulation and the brick veneer.

Insulate the interior of the walls with extruded polystyrene insulation and furring strips. With block walls, the anchorage can be in the block or in the mortar joints. If the walls were brick instead of block, the anchors would go into the mortar. If the plaster is sound, leave it in place.

Dick