Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Insulating under roof and horsehair plaster

MA

05-06-07, 07:03 AM   #1  
Insulating under roof and horsehair plaster

Recently, an insulation contractor convinced me that there would not be a problem with blowing cellulose insulation into the backside of horsehair plaster walls and ceiling in my attic between the plaster and roof.

Although the walls are finished in plaster, I do not heat this area. However, I have two separate stairwells leading up to the attic which are not closed off (except to shut a makeshift door at the bottom of each stairway).I guess I'm saying some heat does escape into the attic . The ideal situation would be not heating this space.

I'm having a new layer of roof shingles put on. Is this the time to do something to correct the earlier mistake.
I wouldn't be too upset removing the first layer etc. in order to do it the correct way. By the way, what is a ridge vent? Can one be installed during application a second layer of shingles?

Sponsored Links

05-06-07, 11:12 AM   #2  
A ridge vent runs along the highest point of your roof, and lets the heat escape, and the fresh air is drawn in from your soffit vents. This natural convection is a good way to ventilate your attic. I am no pro at this, but I would think you would need to take up all the prior layers of shingles to get one in. I have no idea on your other question. Some pro should come along and chime in though!

Search this Thread