Insulating Garage Ceiling

Old 05-11-07, 06:22 AM
Insulating Garage Ceiling

Our master bedroom sits above our garage and the garage ceiling is not insulated. This causes our master bedroom to heat and cool more with the temperature of the garage than with the HVAC. The garage ceiling is open and we have wooden garage doors.

I was trying to find out what R-level should I install in the garage ceiling.
Would R-13 work or should I go to R-15 or R-19?

Also, should you insulate the floor which is above an unheated crawlspace?

Thank,
Eric

Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-07, 01:07 PM
So if I read your post right, you have your master which sits above the garage, that has no ceiling? Essentially the ceiling of your garage is the floor joists for the master bedroom? And the crawlspace you are talking about is totally seperate from the garage / M.B. problem? Remember, the more insulation you put in those joists, the more comfertable your bedroom will be in weather extremes. Heat rises, and I would imagine in the summer your bedroom gets quite hot. It would be worth while to get in your attic, and make sure the ceiling of your bedroom is also insulated. If you plan to live there for a while, I would go heavy on the insulation, rather than skimp on it. Also check with your local building dept. and see what is code.

Old 05-11-07, 01:57 PM
Right, the floor joists of the master bedroom are visible in the garage. The attic area has blown-in insulation. I just did not know if the higher cost of the r-19 was worth it.

The crawl space is in a totally different area of the house.

Just looking for ideas.

Old 05-12-07, 01:26 AM
check out this link for general guidelines for insulating a house in your area.

http://www.ornl.gov/sci/roofs+walls/insulation/ins_16.html

Old 05-12-07, 07:40 AM
Thanks a lot for the link.

Old 05-12-07, 04:06 PM
You can blow in cellulose in the garage ceiling. It will cost more than fiberglass but its much better. You can get a R-30+ with cellulose if you have 9.5" joist(2X10's). Its a bit more difficult doing cellulose in a ceiling like that because we can't use the normal vapor barrier so we need to use a mesh type barrier so it can breathe. You could achieve a R-36 in a normal 9.5" space if you could guarentee a pressure pack.