Insulation from exterior (Post Moved)

Old 06-11-07, 07:10 AM
Insulation from exterior (Post Moved)

I,m presently tearing off old siding and sheathing(black stuff) from house and I,m wondering when I come across the blown-in insulation should i try to save it. My plan is to insulate in 2/4 cavity with fiberglass then OSB then Tyvek then vinyl side with Foundry siding the weathered collection it's a great look.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-07, 04:54 PM
Well, if you plan on putting in fiberglass, then why save the old insulation? But why would you want to go to fiberglass anyway? I would go with cellulose insulation, but get new stuff. You will save more on energy cost with cellulose than with fiberglass.

Old 06-11-07, 09:34 PM
I'm a little confused isn't cellulose blown-in?

Old 06-12-07, 07:23 PM
There is blown-in fiberglass and blown-in cellulose. If its a paper product, then its cellulose. I would still toss it because you don't know what the material was actually made out of. The newer cellulose has more fire resistance properties than the old stuff. Plus you don't want to put used cellulose into a blowing machine unless you are certin that its only paper and not other junk mixed in with it.

Old 06-13-07, 06:27 AM
I understand now. I've removed the siding off of one wall of my house and this is what I see. Celotex in pretty good shape with the fiberglass blown in. I would like to put siding over this but on the inside during winter months there are several spots on this wall that get moisture and mildew especially near bottom of wall. I'm prepared to rip it down thats my speciality. Will a plastic vapor barrier help this before insulating. I was planning on installing batts cuse that seems to be the easiest. Any suggestions for this rookie are welcome. Thanks sincerely, The Slowest Sider in Syracuse