Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Condesation within vapour barrier....

CANADA

06-26-07, 05:11 PM   #1  
Condesation within vapour barrier....

Over the course of this spring I decided to convert the cold storage of my basement into a closet (basically this is the space under my front porch). The cold storage was useless in the summer and ended up being wasted space and needed a freshening up anyway with the recent renovation of my basement (which was never insulated and now has r12 throughout).

I ripped down the shelving and styrofoam insulation that was in this 6x6 area and then put in a piece of blue r12 styrofoam insulation within the vent of the one wall and then proceeded to put up the black exterior tar paper, put in my framing including plywood ceiling in case I need to redo the porch and won't have to be overly concerned with tearing into the this closet.

I slapped in the r12 insulation (fiberglass stuff) and then put on my vapourbarrier and taped it off with the red insulation tape and then installed a bifold door for the closet.

Anyways, two nights ago I noticed condensation within the framing/insulation and it's got me a little worried. I put in a fan in the room to circulate the air as well as putting a slit or two in the areas where the condensation is to let some air in to evaporate.

This is a first for me and need a few ideas...don't want to get mold. It's been two days with the fan on and I still have the same amount of condensation, not less as I had hoped although the humidity has been a bit higher this week (just outside windsor...across from Detroit,MI).

I thought of installing one of those ducting 110V fans to help draw air through the closet but not sure if that'll help considering the condensation is within the framing.

I don't think I cut corners making this closet....I've never noticed any condensation in my basement at all since I've been here so like I said, this concerns me....especially after all the time I've put into the basement. Mabye I'm just missing something that I'm not thinking about....

Sponsored Links

VA

06-27-07, 04:38 AM   #2  
Sounds like you have two VB one is the styrofoam and the other is your other VB that you put up. My guess is this is what is causing your problem. Also do you have a dehumidifier in this area.

CANADA

06-27-07, 05:52 AM   #3  
The 5x8 inch piece of styrofoam was just to cover the hole/vent in the cold storage room....then installed the black tar paper over the wall...then framed, insulated and vapour barriered over it....

No dehumidifier in the room...no heating/cooling ducts in here either....just put a fan to circulate air in here....

Dehumidifying crossed my mind (don't have one anyway) but I didn't expect to have this problem once I did all the above.

The condensation is between the tar layer and the vapour layer...within the insulation.

I do have a water line running through the ceiling as well as an electrical line but the condensation seems to be forming away from these areas anyway. I don't see any sweat on the copper water line either....

I could see condensation occuring on the vapour barrier so I could wipe it off...which I would get a dehumidifier, but between it?

06-28-07, 05:03 AM   #4  
The tar paper is acting as a vapor barrier as well... hence the buildup between it and your plastic vapor barrier.

CANADA

06-28-07, 10:11 AM   #5  
Okay so how do I stop it from condensating between the vapour barriers? I've slashed open the areas a bit more and continue to run the fan with some improvement but I'm a little lost beyond that.

Search this Thread