Blown in insulation in walls?

Old 06-29-07, 07:25 AM

As I have stated in previous posts, I have recently have built a 28x30' garage with a 9' ceiling. I plan to use osb for the interior walls. I have already attached the first course of osb to the 2x4 studs and am planning on using blown in insualtion with the loaned blower from HD to fill the wall cavities to the top of the 4' high osb. When I finish that, I will attach another run of osb an then blow more insulation. I'll do the same with the final 1' at the top of the wall.
I was just reading the bag of blown in insulation and it says that it is for atics. Will it work in my walls also or will there be a problem with settling? Are there any other reasons it won't work?
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-07, 01:27 PM
Our house is insulated with the damp-blown cellulose, but we also had quoted the dry-blown cellulose. I don't think there's any difference between the wall and attic usage of the product you are looking at. Its probably labeled as attic insulation because that's the vast majority of how its used. Proper fill in walls (above a minimum density) is essential to prevent settling. For damp blown cellulose, it is around 3.2# per ft^3, but that stuff has a little starch adhesive mixed with it, so I don't know the proper fill for the dry fill.

Old 06-29-07, 01:33 PM

If you are in a heating climate, you need a vapor barrier on the warm side of the insulation. - I do not know it Marietta is considered a heating climate (in the winter) or not.

Dick

Old 06-29-07, 05:11 PM
Originally Posted by Concretemasonry View Post
If you are in a heating climate, you need a vapor barrier on the warm side of the insulation. - I do not know it Marietta is considered a heating climate (in the winter) or not.

Dick
I didn't think of a vapor barrier. Marietta is a suburb of Atlanta. This is for a garage/workshop that I don't expect to use dailly in the winter, maybe a Saturday or Sunday. The only heat will be a Warm Morning coal heater. Do you think I will have a problem with condensation if I don't have a vapor barrier?

Old 06-29-07, 05:24 PM

I don't know if vapor barriers are common in your area. - Just an observation/question for your check list. Perhaps others from your area can comment on the need.

I had heard of many people that have converted garages into bedrooms, apartments, offices or have attached to the house and the need for the vapor barrier increased by the change in use.

I enjoy the area, but do hear about the cold days during the winter ocasionally. Atlanta has the only diner I have seen that has valet parking and sells mearloaf for $15.00 (Buckhead area), so anything is possible.

Dick

Old 06-29-07, 07:01 PM
Originally Posted by Concretemasonry View Post
I don't know if vapor barriers are common in your area. - Just an observation/question for your check list. Perhaps others from your area can comment on the need.

I had heard of many people that have converted garages into bedrooms, apartments, offices or have attached to the house and the need for the vapor barrier increased by the change in use.

I enjoy the area, but do hear about the cold days during the winter ocasionally. Atlanta has the only diner I have seen that has valet parking and sells mearloaf for $15.00 (Buckhead area), so anything is possible.

Dick
Anything is possible in Buckhead.