Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

candidate for radiant barrier

PA

07-12-07, 01:37 PM   #1  
candidate for radiant barrier

not sure if my house would work with a radiant barrier. here is the rundown, all brick row home built in 1926 with no insulation in walls or basement, there is alittle blown in yellow stuff in 2nd floor ceiling. the house has no attic it is a flat roof there is like maybe 12 inches of space up there maybe more and when i can see down my neighbors like no party wall up there. the soffit have little holes in it to vent and there is like another vent that look like pipe with a round thing on top and spins when windy. could i be a candidate for adding some cellulose up there and a radiant barrier?

Sponsored Links

VA

07-12-07, 03:18 PM   #2  
Radiant barrier NO it will be to cost to much.

PA

07-12-07, 04:13 PM   #3  
what would cost to much? really want to save money on heating and cooling.

VA

07-12-07, 04:48 PM   #4  
removing all the outside wall and the ceiling to install the RB would cost to much.

PA

07-12-07, 04:53 PM   #5  
not concerned about outside walls, but do have 2 places where i can get up there to blow insulation in ceiling.

KY

01-02-08, 09:58 AM   #6  
Firstly; I'm no expert but if you can blow insulation on top of what's there, it should help slow the heat loss through that ceiling......be sure not to cover any vent holes and leave some space between the insulation and the underside of the roof framing members. This will allow the cooler air from the soffitt to help the turbine vent pull the warmer air out of that roof cavity. Very important to allow the house to breathe fresh air, this also keeps any moisture from becoming trapped in the roof cavity which would be a big no no!

Secondly; I've read somewhere in one of these threads that a homeowner wanted to get more R-value in a ceiling. Initially by tearing down the finished ceiling, adding insulation and re-installing new drywall. There were several replies suggesting adding Expanded Polystyrene (EPS), a lightweight foam board to the existing ceiling and adding a new layer of drywall over the EPS. This may be an option or another step for you to consider. In this process it's very important to make a pattern of holes in the surface of the existing ceiling prior to installing the EPS or Radiant Barrier to compromise any existing vapor barrier there. I don't like this idea much because the fasteners will have to be at least 2 1/4" or longer (depending on the thickness of the EPS) and long fasteners through drywall tend to wallow out the paper face, of the drywall making it weaker and nasty to finish.

KY

01-04-08, 04:03 AM   #7  
Posted By: d-riteinstall not concerned about outside walls, but do have 2 places where i can get up there to blow insulation in ceiling.
Another option is installing drywall with a Radiant Barrier factory applied to the backside. You can leave the existing ceiling in place, be sure to compromise existing vapor barrier first.

Search this Thread