Insulation other than fiberglass

Old 07-15-07, 03:11 PM

I am redoing a room in my house. Its an old house so there is no insulation in the walls. The studs are spaced anywhere from 9" to 16". The room is gutted so I can install just about anything. Is there another thype of insulation I can put in other than fiberglass.? With fiberglass you have alot of gaps around outlet boxes and stuff. I saw on one of the homeimprovement shows some spray on stuff but I don't know if thats DYI of not. Thanks in advance TimH

ETA: It would be good if it was non flamable. I don't what the flame resistance of fiberglass.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-07, 05:16 PM

Look into sray on or blown cellulose depending on your schedule. - No need to worry about the odd spacing.

Cellulose is treated to be flame retardant and mold resistant.

Fiberglass wil not support combustion, but it will melt at a surprisingly low temperature.

The insulating properties for the two materials are similar if you beleive in the nit-picking laboratory R-values for the materials. Cellulose can give you a better insulated wall in terms of completeness and lack of gaps.

Dick

Old 07-15-07, 07:11 PM
Thanks Dick. I'll do a search for spray on cellulose. Hopefully its some thing I can do my self

Old 07-19-07, 08:14 PM
Concretemasonry is right. You will also have less air movement with cellulose. You can rent a machine and buy the material at a local store. Just don't buy the cellulose from Home Depot because it has plastic in it too(or they used to a couple of years ago).

Old 07-20-07, 10:42 AM
What would be the problem with plasic? Is the celulose the stuff that kind of sticks to the walls? As mentioned before the room is gutted right now. Thanks Tim

Old 07-20-07, 01:06 PM
The plastic pieces mixed in with the cellulose won't offer you any insulating properties. Its just another way Home Depot can offer you a product at a lower price by having it be lower quality(they do simular things with a lot of their products).

There are two different ways to install cellulose. You can either wet blow it, where it sticks to the wall then you place a vapor barrier over it. Or you can pressure pack it. We use a vapor barrier called ParPac. Its a vapor barrier that has nylon cord running through it like chicken wire which makes it very strong. It lets us pressure blow the walls without having a lot of buldging. Pressure packing it will make it so it won't settle in the walls. Not all companies use ParPac.

Old 07-20-07, 01:24 PM
Thanks for the info!

Tim