Drive in basement ceiling Vapor barrier

Old 08-27-07, 12:00 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hi, new here. I'm getting ready to buy a house that has a drive in basement with bedrooms over the garage area. Is it a good idea to put up some sort of vapor barrier to prevent exhaust gasses from reaching the bedrooms? Thanks.

Old 08-27-07, 12:17 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

You should have a vapor barrier on the warm side of the gargare ceiling/first floor. All drywall joints must be taped.

Beyong that, the logical step would be to eliminate the fumes with common sense/ventilation or decreasing the fumes.

Dick

Old 08-27-07, 07:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I would for sure put up some spray foam type insulation if there isn't any now. This will prevent heat/cool loss along with the noise of the garage door and vehicles.

I'm learning some things from Holmes on Homes!

Old 08-28-07, 08:00 AM
T
I guess what I'm asking is, would it help/hurt if I put up a layer of plastic on the bottom side of the floor joists (there is no drywall on the bottom, just insulation in between joists). Just something to keep the fumes from even reaching the bedroom floors.

Old 08-28-07, 08:14 AM
Wink

Id sure check code there. Most codes call for a 5/8 drywall in a garage in a home for fire. Also check with your insurance company about this. Like said if you put insulation in therethe V/B side has to go to the floor of the room above. Dont put another V/B on the under side for sure.

Old 08-28-07, 10:34 AM
T
So basically the vapor barrier should be on top of the subfloor, under the carpet? Or under the subfloor on top of the floor joists? And if there is none at all, then I'm assuming it's okay to put a vapor barrier on the bottom side of the joists and then drywall over that?

Old 08-28-07, 05:52 PM
A
If you do a vapor barrier, it MUST be on the WARM side of the house. DO NOT put it on the GARAGE side or you will have problems. You can drywall the garage ceiling but DO NOT use a vapor barrier.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: