Foam Insullation

Old 10-19-07, 08:32 AM
Foam Insullation

I just received a quote of $500 to spray foam insullation into a porch 6x14. The contractor said he will remove the clapboard on the ouside and use spray the insullation between the panelling and studs. For the ceiling he will need to cut a hole/vent. He said the job will take about 3 hours. Is $500 a reasonable price? The porch which is attached to the kitchen has not heating.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-07, 10:27 AM
Where's the Heat

What are you insulating for if there is no heat source? The insulation won't make it warmer without a source of heat.

The foam will stop drafts between your porch and kitchen wall though.

Get several prices from other foam contractors as well as standard batt and blown in cellulose quotes to see what they would cost.

See if you can cut the cost down by doing the clapboard removal.

Old 10-19-07, 11:13 AM
I was planning jut to leave the kitchen door and window open (which is connected to the porch). I figured if it is insulated then there should not be a lot of heat loss and stay relatively warm out there. Bad idea?

Old 10-19-07, 02:27 PM
It won't be as warm out there as you are hoping. You would be better off to add a heat source on your porch, like extending your current heat source to the porch.