Insulating Garage

Old 10-29-07, 10:35 AM
Insulating Garage

I have a 12' x 35' attached garage that shares a 20' wall with my house; the remaining 15' is bounded by exterior walls (i.e., the final 15' extends beyond the house).

The garage has a walk-up attic that covers approximately 20' of the garage. The remaining 15' has no attic, and the ceiling of the garage is the plywood beneath the roofing.

Insulation had been hung over that 15'. It has now begun to detach after 30 years. Should I reinsulate? Owens-Corning says no, because the insulation will simply keep the garage cold in the winter and hot in the summer. My experience, however, is that heat from the house drips into the garage and warms it during the winter, thus the insulation would tend to preserve that warmth in the winter, making the garage warmer and, by extension, creating an insulating barrier at that side of the house, as well.

As for the summer, the exhaust fan should carry a good portion of the hot air out, and I could alway open a window for ventilation - in any event, I do not mind if the garage is hot in the summer, if the trade-off is warmer in winter.

Your expert thoughts, please?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-07, 10:51 AM
I don't think it will matter much either way. If most of the garage is uninsulated then that little bit won't make a difference.

I would be more worried my house was leaking heat into the garage. I would start by checking the door and weather stripping between the house and garage. My house "use" to have a standard hollow interior door between the house a garage. I have since replaced it with an exterior insulated door with much better threshold and weatherstripping.