cathedral attic ceiling insulation question

Old 11-03-07, 04:47 PM
cathedral attic ceiling insulation question

Good day everyone. I have a 1985 contemporary in CT. The roof is constructed of 2x12 common truss with soffit venting, full length ridge venting, and some gable vents. The two attic spaces have finished floors but not walls or ceilings. The 2x12's have r-30 roll insulation with the vapor barrier facing the inside. The home inspector pointed out that there was no venting between the insulation and the roof so there was no air getting from the soffit vents through to the ridge vent. I've just finished putting in plastic pro vent between each 2x12 and reinstalling the original roll insulation; it wasn't in too bad of condition so I reused it. In the process I found that I am in an r-49 area for attic insulation. How do I go about adding the additional r-19 ? I've also noticed that even with the existing insulation there is noticable cold air drafting down through it wherever there is a seam or a space. I've considered sheetrocking the spaces to cut down the drafting but I'm not sure if this will cause problems with moisture or heat build up in the summer. I was at a home show today and an insulation contractor suggested reinsulating with a blown in insulation. Is that wise on my type of roof?
Thanks for any and all information,
Jeremy.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-07, 03:52 PM
Airflow in the attic is what you want unless you have a sealed attic. What R value do you have under the floor?

Old 11-06-07, 03:31 PM
Originally Posted by dn0121 View Post
Airflow in the attic is what you want unless you have a sealed attic. What R value do you have under the floor?
Thanks dn0121, I'm not sure if it would be considered a sealed attic. I'm assuming that by sealed you mean no soffit vent or ridge vents entering or exiting the area. There's 2x12 trusses with plastic pro vent and the r-30 roll insulation on top. The pro vent channels the air from the soffit vents to a second attic area at the peak of the house where the ridge vent is. The vents don't flow directly into or out of the space. If I were to finish the area off by sheetrocking it would be sealed and the air would still flow from the soffit vent to the ridge vent as designed. It also has a plywood floor so I'm not sure what is underneath for insulation. The house seems to be over built in every aspect so I would assume its standard or higher. The blueprint shows 8 1/2 inches of insulation in the floor. Thanks in advance for any additional thoughts or info.
Jeremy.

Search this Thread