Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Insulating mudroom that is inside garage

11-05-07, 03:54 PM   #1  
Insulating mudroom that is inside garage

I am building a garage and I will have a mudroom that is in the garage going into the house. The mud room is framed on the inside of the garage. We live in VA and get somewhat cold winters and hot summers. My contractor could only use drywall, stud, r-13 insulation and then drywall based on the door entering the mudroom. Do you think this enough insulation or should I have him upgrade to R-18. He was suppossed to use r-18 but when I got home tonight i saw the r-13 in the walls. 2x4 stud walls. Thanks

Sponsored Links

NH

11-05-07, 08:08 PM   #2  
I believe the most R-value you can get in a 2x4 wall is R-15 with high density fiberglass. You can't take fiberglass thats made for 2x6 and shove it into a 2x4 and expect it to maintain its R-value because it won't.

OH

11-06-07, 02:50 AM   #3  
insulation

Adam is correct in our area the most you can put in a 2x4 wall is r-13 anything biger will not have the r-value plus if you try to put a thicker insulation in a small space it will try to expand and push the dry wall off. Jack

NH

11-07-07, 07:17 PM   #4  
Well, you wouldn't have to worry about it trying to push the drywall off because fiberglass doesn't have any real force behind it. You could take a R-30 batt and put it into a 2x4 wall without problems, BUT it just won't be a R-30 batt anymore and would be a complete waste of money.

OH

11-07-07, 07:31 PM   #5  
have you ever tride to put 9" of insulation in a 3.5" wall cavity this does'nt mean it can't be done it shouldn't be done like putting 2 tons of crap in a 1 ton truck something has got to give, open a bag of insulation what is the first thing that happens it expans. some of this stuff is just comon sense.

NE

11-27-07, 05:22 PM   #6  
Question along the same vein.

Detached garage; 2x4 walls & 2x8 ceilings.

Very cold winters and reasonably hot summers (high of 90-95* F).

I've got R-13 in the walls & ceilings.

Locally I have seen people run R13 batt in the walls, then face that with hardfoam boards (instead of drywall)... is this reasonable?

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

MI

11-28-07, 02:52 AM   #7  
nikuk, that will work fine but will not pass any inspection,,, if that matters, it will not meet fire codes without something such as drywall or tin covering it.

Search this Thread