Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Insulating Electrical Receptacles

CANADA

11-08-07, 11:06 AM   #1  
Insulating Electrical Receptacles

Can I stuff pink fiberglass insulation in behind electrical outlets and light switches to keep the cold air from coming in or is that a fire hazzard to have insulation directly against the wire terminals? I find that the gaskets you can buy in the store aren't very effective and I don't want to use expanding foam.

Sponsored Links

CT

11-08-07, 11:11 AM   #2  
I found the use of caulk (fire rated) to be helpful here. A couple boxes on exterior walls in my house would leak no matter what.....pulled the receptacles out and sealed all openings to the box with fire rated caulk. Even caulked the foam gasket directly to the box. That helped a lot but was still getting air thru the receptacle prong holes. For that I took the cutouts from a foam gasket (that you use for the non-Decora receptacles), cut two slits in them and slid them over a child safety plug. Plugged that into the receptacle and voila! no noticeable air leakage.

-Chris

NE

11-27-07, 05:14 PM   #3  
In the past I have had this problem in the original portion of my house.

*Firecaulked the holes in the boxes.
*foam any gap between the outside of the box & the finish wall hole
*Rubber gasket on the face
*as needed, "lightly stuff" fiberglass insulate around the box as a whole

NH

11-27-07, 06:52 PM   #4  
Fiberglass is very bad at stopping air movement, which is why everyone who has fiberglass has leaks by their outlets. The easiest solution would be to foam around the outlets like chris said. A couple of nik's ideas will work too. If you jam the fiberglass into the space around the outlet box so its really tight and not loose then that should help with the air movement. Don't put it into the outlet. The air leaks mainly around the electrical box and not as much from the inside of the box(usually).

Search this Thread