Fill attic with blown in insulation

Old 12-07-07, 07:03 AM
Fill attic with blown in insulation

I have 2 dormers that there is no ventilation on the overhand and no way to add it without major reconstruction.

I'm considering taking down all the drywall and having someone foam it, since I guess that doesn't need ventilation.

As a cheaper alternative, is there any a reason I shouldn't blow insulation all the way from the drywall to the roof sheating? (Maybe 6" at the narrowest point, going up to 12+ inches for the level I would want.)

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious here, I just don't know what.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-07, 05:55 AM
Anyone have any thoughts / suggestions? Sorry if I'm too impatient, this is the longest I've waited on a reply

Old 12-11-07, 06:39 AM
Theres no reason you cant do what you are planning. In fact solidifying voids like that are done all the time with cellulose and works. If its not too big and you dense pack it theres little to no air movement and no need for ventilation.
I have a similiar situation http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/e...m/P1010070.jpg

2 dormers here. These arent connected to the attic above for ventilation and have only 1 inch batts laying on the ceiling. I drilled a hole in the ceiling from the room and will pump it full of cellulose to make it solid. Foaming done right works too but is extremely expensive. This is easier and way cheaper.

Old 12-11-07, 06:57 AM
Hmm.. my situation is a little different, but I think it could still work given what you are saying.

I have a 2 1/2 story house. There are dormers on the front and the back of the house that comprise approximately 70% of the roof area. House was built in 1920. Not sure if the dormers are original or not.

My attic access is sealed up for the winter, so I may have to resurrect this thread next spring after I open up my attic access and put some interior / exterior pictures up. If exterior pictures would help, I can certainly try to get those up on photobucket.

Old 12-11-07, 07:05 AM
Try to get an exterior photo up. And yeah I have a 1 and 1/2 story with a larger attic space than most capes

Old 12-11-07, 02:24 PM
Here are the exterior pictures.

Front:
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s...007_0610AR.jpg

Back:
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s...007_0610AG.jpg

My only attic access doubles as an inlet for my whole house fan, so that's been sealed up. If you need me to get in there, I can try.

The specific areas I'm looking at are the dormers.