my exterior walls need insulation!!

Old 12-23-07, 08:27 PM
my exterior walls need insulation!!

Is blowing insulation into exterior walls a diy'er project or should I have someone do it? My house was built in the '50's and has no insulation in the walls(or none that does any good). I have wood siding on the exterior.

Any one have any advice on this? Should I tackle this myself, I am a carpenter and very handy guy so im sure I can handle it but is it worth it?

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-07, 11:18 AM
Walls can be insulated by drilling access hole between the studs and blowing insulation into the cavity. I have read of it being done from both the interior and the exterior. All the mess notwithstanding, I suspect that it would be easier to repair the damage if the work were performed from the interior.

As for DIY, it certainly seems in that realm. Nevertheless, check contractor prices just for information. When I was preparing to blow insulation into my attic, I found that I could hire a contractor, turnkey, for less than I could buy the materials.

Old 12-25-07, 02:27 PM
Kind of what I figured that I would just have to compare the costs of a contractor and of doing it myself.

Thanks,