Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

How Do I Insulate Steel Building?

01-10-08, 08:03 PM   #1  
How Do I Insulate Steel Building?

I am facing the problem of insulating a small portable steel building 12 x 30 feet so that it can be used as living space. I am living in the building now as it came from the factory apart from adding a foil-bubble wrap-foil layer and a second layer of 3/4 inch plywood flooring. No, you don't want to live like this, for sure. It's a long story. Boy, do I need help. Yes, I've got condensation problems. Mayday, Save Our Ship, please advise. Building has barn style roofline and is nothing but a steel skin over wooden frame. Some wiring is complete. Thanks. e-mail is [email protected]

Sponsored Links

MN

01-11-08, 06:07 AM   #2  
Assuming that there isn't adequate stud spacing (if any) to put fiberglass batts, then I would suggest either spray on polyurethane insulation (expensive) or rigid foam insulation (less expensive and you can diy). It all depends of what the wall is framed with and what the distance is between framing members. Either way you need some air movement in there, either install a air exchanger or at the very least, a dehumdifier for the time being.

Search this Thread