Air space

Old 01-11-08, 07:19 AM
Air space

1950's ranch, in attic there is 4 inches of celulose bat insulation, this insulation is attach to top of rafters which leaves an airspace between insulation and drywall below. Should I push the insulation down to the drywall and blow ontop or leave it as is and blow in ontop?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-08, 08:32 AM
Ive never heard of cellulose batt insulation before. DO you mean fiberglass batts? The insulation should go against the heated space only. If you are using the attic as a conditioned space then fine. Otherwise the insulation should only go on the floor of the attic space. Take it down and place it on the floor in between the joists. If theres a paper vapor barrier make sure its facing the heated space. Then you can blow cellulose on top of it all.

Old 01-11-08, 08:37 AM
Smile insulation

Originally Posted by atharp View Post
1950's ranch, in attic there is 4 inches of celulose bat insulation, this insulation is attach to top of rafters which leaves an airspace between insulation and drywall below. Should I push the insulation down to the drywall and blow ontop or leave it as is and blow in ontop?
in Tennessee the vapor barrier always goes next to the heated living space. that means, if i understand what you said, that yours is installed upside down. however, if it has been that way all this time with no problems, i guess it will be ok to just blow the insulation on top of what is there. you will, however, need to leave room at th wall/roof line for air movement from soffet to attic vent.
MikeTN

Old 01-11-08, 09:10 AM
I had never heard of a celulose bat before either but that is what it says on the bats, it has a paper type sheet on both sides and insulation is a light brown sort of granular substance.

Old 01-11-08, 04:47 PM
Correction its Balsam Wool insulation