Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Air circulation in true cathedral ceiling

01-29-08, 03:30 PM   #1  
Air circulation in true cathedral ceiling

Planning a addition to the house with a "shed style" roof coming off an existing wall. Rafters will be 2X8 or 2X10 with the room ceiling attached to them and the roof sheathing attached to the top. I want to insulate between them, but allow for air circulation in the top portion of the rafters. Use insulation that is slightly "less thick" than the rafters, right? I'll have no soffits (matching rest of the house) but can vent the blocking at the eaves with no problem... Question is: How do I provide for air circulation at the top of the new roof that intersects the existing wall?

Sponsored Links

VA

01-30-08, 04:42 AM   #2  
If you don't have a ridge vent you will not have air movement. I spray foam it and you will not need air movement.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

01-30-08, 05:05 AM   #3  
I agree with Airman, if you can't provide a positive channel from bottom to top to move the air, then foam insulation may be best. Now, if you can lay in the Owens Corning soffit tubes all the way up from the bottom vents to a ridge, then the insulation below that, you will have circulation. I hate to agree with Airman.

VA

01-30-08, 08:24 AM   #4  
What is this world coming to!!! Chandler and me agree on two different topics!! I better play the lottery!

Search this Thread