Insulating "Bonus room" area

Old 03-19-08, 06:58 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Insulating "Bonus room" area

I am currently in the process of transforming the bonus room area off our master bedroom into a walk in closet along with part of the current bedroom. It is currently an unfinished storage area with a half door accessing to it. I will be installing a knee wall and would like to utilize drawers and/or built in shelves as well.

My question is how to go about insulating and ventilating the area. Currently there is insulation between the rafters in the bonus room area and metal foil poorly covering that. Can I keep the insulation as is and add a vapor barrier where I plan to drywall.

The alternative of putting insulation in the knee wall is not attractive since the area under the bonus room area is another bedroom and may be difficult to properly insulate well between the joists without creating spaces for drafts.

Old 03-19-08, 07:35 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Good morning,

I'm afraid insulation is not my forte', but I can tell you we often set tile by first covering the insulation with vapor barrier, then hardibacker, so I don't see why it wouldn't be the same for drywall.

Someone will undoubtedly be along soon with a definitive answer.

Old 03-19-08, 05:18 PM
X
Maybe you could cover the whole area with rigid insulating foam sheets. Like Styrofoam. Once you cover the area you should tape where they touch each other. This will act as vapor barrier as well. All you will need now is longer drywall screws!

Old 03-21-08, 07:24 AM
R
I like the idea of foam sheets, but I'm worried that since the height of the area is already low, adding the thickness of foam might make it worse. I'll probably just end up replacing the foil with a new foil barrier.

It looks like I will have to take the insulation out as I just found that there are no baffles going from the soffits into the attic. Luckily their doesn't appear to be mold where I've looked so far. Probably because it wasn't well sealed and the air was just coming in to the house.

Another question I have is since I will insulate the rafters, how do I ensure the air between the knee wall and rafters doesn't become a dead area. Would vents be adequate or do I need something more like a fan.

Old 03-21-08, 02:08 PM
X
rzsionak, try this link;

http://www.eere.energy.gov/consumer/.../mytopic=11420

You may find it useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: