Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

insulation for 2x4 roof

WA

04-22-08, 01:38 PM   #1  
insulation for 2x4 roof

I have a 1910 bungalow with a "finished" attic bedroom - I just tore off all of this ugly 1/4" fake wood paneling to replace with sheetrock and learned..
1) the previous owners replaced the roof which must have been shake with composite and the insulation (pink R-11) is convered in dust and small wood roof fragments. Other than being dirty most of it looks in decent condition but I don't know how old it is.
2) The roof joists are actually 2x4

I'm trying to decide if I should replace the insulation and I am concerned with the ventilation because it's such a tight space. What should I really be concerned about and what should I look for? Are there other options I should consider? The room gets pretty warm in summer but i just put in a couple openable skylights. In winter it seems warm enough - i don't think my heat bill is unusually high and I live in Seattle - fairly temperate but rainy. Thanks!!!

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NE

04-22-08, 03:39 PM   #2  
The dept. of energy recommends that attic be insulated up to R-49, which is obviously impossible with such small rafters. I'd suggest that you add additional framing (like a 2x2 or 2x3) onto the bottom of your rafters so that you have additional depth. then consider having someone come in and spray the ceiling with icynene insulation. A closed roof system will give you the best r-value.

Search this Thread