Foam boards vs. vapor barrier

Old 04-27-08, 06:39 AM
Foam boards vs. vapor barrier

Hello Folks, I recently read that if you put rigid foam against basement block walls you don't need a vapor barrier.

Anyone agree or disagree with this ????? A lot of conflicting info on a vapor barrier.

Also how far off the foundation wall should I frame the walls. Thanks for your help and have a good day!!! Eric

Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-08, 12:28 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Hello, I'm going to give you a link to the Department of Energy's recommendations for wall insulation.

There are "clickable" links, including one which answers your question about moisture control, as well as good information about adding insulation to existing walls.

http://www.eere.energy.gov/consumer/.../mytopic=11350

Let me know if this answered your question.

Connie

Old 04-28-08, 06:07 PM
Originally Posted by feihin View Post
Hello Folks, I recently read that if you put rigid foam against basement block walls you don't need a vapor barrier.

Anyone agree or disagree with this ????? A lot of conflicting info on a vapor barrier.

Also how far off the foundation wall should I frame the walls. Thanks for your help and have a good day!!! Eric
Closed cell foam is a VB! Foam panels with a plastic coating is a VB! I have furring strips on block wall with 1/2 inch poly between. Then sheet rock. All walls or 100% under ground. Some say to off set 4 inches. I don't think that will help if you have a moisture problem.