Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Insulation, Radiant and Vapor Barriers
Reload this Page >

radiant floor(wet or dry?)(electric or liquid?) vapor barriers,insulation?

Old 06-04-08, 06:38 AM

Hi I have an old bungalow in the chicago area with inlaw apartments in the basement. the original floors or foundation is cement and in the inlaw apartment it had a raised wood floor that was damaged by bugs so I had to rip it up. I encountered a finished or sealed top to the cement in the bathroom and bedroom and a rough cement where the subfloor 2x4's were set into the cement with some breakthrough to the ground(i think this aided the bugs and dampness). I want to refinish this with a new lawyer of concrete and possibly add some sort of raidient floor heating(electric or liquid) and maybe insulation and a vapor barrier???? I think I can tye the raidient heating into my bolier system and eliminate the existing raidiators in that section of the house. Oh and I need to get a new boiler as the old one is just about dead. I was thinking about a high efficent boiler. Any way can anyone give me suggestions as to vapor barriers,insulation under concrete,heating options and compatability? thaks Joe [email protected] p.s. also considering a passive hotwater heater,a solar hot water system and a p.v. system and have everything electric.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-08, 07:20 AM
You will need two layers of 6 mil poly and 2in of polystyrene.

Old 06-04-08, 08:08 AM
I found that the vendors of radiant heat systems are quite helpful in answering questions about the vagaries of installing these systems. You might check with one. I used this company to assist and supply for my installation.

http://www.radiantcompany.com/

Hope this helps.