Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Problem opening garage door after insulation added

AZ

06-13-08, 08:39 AM   #1  
Garage Door Insulation

I just insulated my metal garage door with a rigid foam kit purchased at Home Depot. Seems to work well, that is keeping the garage cooler in the Arizona heat. One problem that i need help with. If all the panels are inserted in the door panels, the garage door will not open. It opens a litle and stops. If I take out some panels the door opens. It seems that the panels may be to heavy for the door to lift. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Super Moderator

AZ

06-13-08, 08:56 AM   #2  
Are you talking about the door not opening with the garage door opener?

If you disconnect the opener, the door should open and close smoothly by hand and should stop when left almost anywhere in the opening (middle 2/3 of the opening is usually acceptable).
If it does that when disconnected, you could increase the upforce adjustment slightly on the opener.

If the door doesn't function as described above, you probably need the springs adjusted. If it is a torsion spring (mounted on a rod on the header over the door), it is not a DIY project for a beginner with garage doors. If it uses tension springs (2 or more mounted with pulleys and cables over each horizontal track), you may be able to adjust the tension by turning the eyebolt or hook where it attaches. If that doesn't give enuf change, you would need to shorten the cables slightly.

Before any adjustments, make sure all attaching hardware is tight and tracks are clean. No grease or oil in the tracks. Do a good wipedown of the tracks with solvent, and maybe a light spray with a dry lube or wipe with a silicone sprayed rag is all it needs.

Hard to believe the foam would make that much diff, but maybe the door was borderline before.

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

AZ

06-13-08, 09:11 AM   #3  
Garage Door Insulation

I am talking about the garage door opener not working properly. I can open and close the door with no problem by unhooking the door opener. When i have all the panels in the door the electric opener stops after opening about 3-5 inches. If i remove panels, to reduce weight, the door opens fine. Right now I have about 6 out of the 16 panels off and the door opens with no problem.

Super Moderator

AZ

06-13-08, 09:18 AM   #4  
Well, as I said, the "upforce" adjustment on the opener was probably borderline. Increase it slightly, and your problem should go away. Each opener is different, but it should be pretty clearly marked. You may have to remove the light cover on some.

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

MN

07-10-08, 06:22 AM   #5  
upforce adjmt

Don't learn the hard way like me. If your upforce is adjusted without the springs "carrying the load" of the door, eventually the gears in the opener will wear out leaving another problem to deal with. Apparently, homeowners are supposed to routinely (quarterly was advised) check the door to make sure the spring tension is properly adjusted to carry the weight of the door. Go figure! And about those torsion springs -- make sure you know what you are doing. They can remove your hand in a hurry.

Search this Thread